<snip>

That is all fine, system is set to tune itself via system value
settings. Pools are the same size at V5R2.

</snip>

Mike,

The tuning may just be the problem. V5R2 needs more memory at the *BASE and Machine pool levels. If you're system has not been properly tuned, the memory allocations could be wrong. Keep in mind that the system tuning features like to give memory and activity levels to pools, but rarely does a good job of removing them. OS/400 lives in *BASE and Machine pools and if OS/400 struggles for resources, so will JDE. I would suggest a manual tuning first, giving *BASE and Machine pool more memory and let the system go from there. Here is the formula for setting the base and machine pools:

S=M+J+L+F+D + Guest(Linux)
       S =  Base
       M = Minimum Machine pool size
       J  = Job Space
       L  = Communications Space
       F  = Functional Space
       D  = Disk Space
   Guest  = Total memory given to Guest Partitions

The Machine pool should be set with this formula:
Multiply main storage by .04
Add 12mb (12288K)
So, a 2048 MB machine:
           2097152 * .04 + 12288 = 96175k
            97 MB Is minimum

Then allocate the balance of the memory to the rest of the system. Also keep in mind that a 2gig/processor minimum is generally accepted as the minimum memory for the advanced OS versions. V5R2 is significantly bigger than V5R1. It has significantly better functionality as well, thus the reason for the size.

Another thing to be aware of. Unless you have changed it, JDE runs all the QZDASOINIT jobs it needs in *BASE. In my view a very bad thing. With that configuration JDE is fighting OS/400 for resources. Everyone looses in that case. You should consider moving these server jobs into a separate subsystem where you can properly tune and control them.

Just my $0.02, however I have been there done that with JDE tuning before.

Igor at www.franenseries.com
aka: Jim Oberholtzer
IBM Certified in Design, Implementation, System Admin and lots of other areas.