I've been watching this thread, and this statement is incorrect.

A PTF is a Program Temporary Fix, which fixes a bug in OS/400 or an LPP.
Delayed PTF's require an IPL, immediate PTF's do not.  Here is a section
from one of my COMMON Presentations on this subject:

PTF Types:
·     Licensed internal code (5722999) PTFs take effect at next IPL.  Apply
Delayed(*YES) while IPL'd on machine area B and the next IPL will occur on
machine area A, the PTFs will be applied temporarily to machine area B, and
then another IPL will occur to machine area B.
·     Delayed PTFs are applied during IPL.  Most OS/400 PTFs are delayed.
Operating System PTFs can be applied Delayed(*YES) only during an IPL with
the keylock on the system unit control panel in the normal position and
system value (QIPLTYPE) of unattended.
·     Immediate PTFs are applied immediately or during IPL. Licensed
Program PTFs are actually applied when the APYPTF instruction is executed.
Rules to remember:  You MUST NOT be running the program product that you
are applying the PTF against (example: Do not attempt to apply PTFs for
OfficeVision/400 while it is in use on your system).  These PTFs are not
dependent on either machine area A or machine are B.  This means that it
doesn't matter where you are IPL'd from when you are working with Licensed
Program PTFs.

Al

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

400>390

914-251-1234
914-251-9406 fax

http://www.barsaconsulting.com
http://www.taatool.com

|---------+------------------------------->
|         |           David Gibbs         |
|         |           <david@xxxxxxxxxxxx>|
|         |           Sent by:            |
|         |           midrange-l-bounces@x|
|         |           idrange.com         |
|         |                               |
|         |                               |
|         |           04/12/2003 11:16 AM |
|         |           Please respond to   |
|         |           Midrange Systems    |
|         |           Technical Discussion|

At 08:17 PM 4/7/2003, you wrote:
>    If this PTF is applied as an immediate PTF, an IPL of the system is
> required to activate this PTF.

Tom:

Just out of curiosity ... what PTF was that?  I encountered one that had
similar instructions.

david