> My question is, what is the actual business "problem" here...

The customer (a software company itself) is meeting the usual
marketplace ignorance about iSeries. Potential customers may be
small, medium or large. This is niche "retail" software, very customized,
but basically rpg iii & iv. They are fishing for some long term ideas, and
seen advertising for ASC and other tool offerings, and asking about real
life experiences.
Other competitors are either Windows or Unix based, and customers looking
for
"replacement" software not wanting to give up their hardware. So I guess
something towards platform independence is the goal. I've also suggested
hosting the app,
and remove the requirement for the customer to buy hardware.
jim