Tom, I find myself in rare disagreement with You.

I understand the THEORY behind the GPL license quite well, actually.

What I'm talking about is the practical reality.  Yes, the LICENSEE
(supposedly, again in theory) can't dismiss the author's (LICENSOR'S)
personal choice.

So about half of what You say actually works out.  The parts that don't are
primarily for two reasons:

1)  Because a lotta people have less scruples about cheating and stealing
than a lotta other people.. the LICENSEE actually CAN do pretty much
anything they want as long as it's socially acceptable...  That's what I
call Napsterism.  As this poor sod documents quite clearly.
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/cgi-bin/ubb/newsdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=1
4&article=000052

"Napsterism" (along with the "Open" Source Movement) is basically what has
absolutely KILLED the potential in the so-called "shareware" or
budget-priced software market.  (Yeah, I know there are modest successes,
btw.)  This was not written by anybody in Bill Gates' tax bracket, in case
that wasn't obvious.

2)  The more important reason is the loophole:  SURE the author can make
money, right?...?  Wrong...  The LICENSEE can do WHATEVER THEY want with the
code.  (Last time I looked at the license, and be glad to find out I'm
wrong!)  One person selling a product, and one Napster-lookalike giving the
very same product away for free...?!?

Well, in my experience, when I do the math that adds up to zero money for
the author.. invariably in almost all marketspaces.

My comments may not have applied, because I'm not ALL that interested in
talking how things work out in THEORY.