Jim, I received this:
   1100-              OPNQRYF    FILE((DOWNLOADA/XBCKLOG XBCKLOG)) +
   1200                            QRYSLT('(CUSTNO *EQ ' *CAT &CCUSNO *CAT ')')
* CPD0712 30  Operand  does not have valid type for operator.
* CPD0711 30  Operands in expression not same type.

Remember that my CUSTNO and CCUSNO fields are numeric.

Then, Buck just stated the reason of my problem: "you can't use *CAT to append a
numeric value".  I followed his recommendation of moving the numeric field to a
*CHAR field and the using the OPNQRYF statement, just exactly the way you
expressed it, and it works now.

Thanks guys for the short lesson!

Regards to all!
Peter Vidal
Pall Aeropower Corp.
SR Programmer Analyst
WWW.Pall.com / 727-539-8448, x2414

"A good player makes himself look good;
a great player makes the team look good."
Author unknown

                    "Rubino, Jim"

                    <Jim.Rubino@xxxxxxxx>        To:     "'Midrange Systems
Technical Discussion'"
                    Sent by:                     <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

                    midrange-l-bounces@xx        cc:

                    drange.com                   Subject:     RE: OPNQRYF with
a numeric variable
                                                 in QRYSLT

                    04/01/2003 05:22 PM

                    Please respond to

                    Midrange Systems

                    Technical Discussion

I would try this:

OPNQRYF    FILE((DOWNLOADA/XBCKLOG XBCKLOG)) +
             QRYSLT('(CUSTNO *EQ ' *CAT &CCUSNO *CAT ')')

Jim