From: Loyd Goodbar [mailto:loyd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, March 31, 2003 5:09 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Java and Visual Basic, how to learn?

My boss believes I need to learn Java and/or Visual Basic. While I don't
disagree, I have asked "How does this make us money, save us money, or open
opportunities?" Certainly there is cool stuff to be done with VB or Java,
but
just how does it apply to the business? No matter, one of my objectives is
learn one (probably VB).

One of the reasons is due to our other AS/400 programmer being called up for
service. In the meantime, I am the only applications developer. While my
boss
is looking for an AS/400 programmer to help me out, this is a good
opportunity
to get "new blood" in the door with VB or Java experience. (I agree.)
Another
reason is the relative "lack" of AS/400 resources in my area, versus lots of
VB resources (both people-wise and training/availability-wise).

In any event, both Java and VB's popularity happened after I became
"entrenched" :) in the AS/400 way. I've got "green screen" programming and
AS/400-centric programming experience, and some ILE experience (with
modules,
service programs, activation groups). But I've never touched Java or VB.

I can spell OO, but that's about it. From what I understand, I need to
really
"get" OO concepts to write good (design/architecture/maintainability) Java
or
VB programs. Even so, I fear there is a steep learning curve between writing
"Hello world" and doing real-world applications, such as access data from
the
AS/400, create drill-down reports, graph data, etc.

What do I need to do, and where do I get started learning either? I would
prefer to learn Java to VB, as I heard so many horror stories about VB. I
don't like being stuck with Microsoft solely in control of the language. At
least Java is now an "open" standard; Sun can't just change it on a whim. (I
think.)

Applications or techniques I can think about doing are...
1. Access data from the AS/400. Do I always need the CA toolkit to do this,
or
is ADO/ODBC sufficient?
2. Facilitate easier data translation to/from the AS/400 to other systems.
Using XML for the "storage container" seems like the right thing to do, and
certainly Java and VB can handle this.
3. Front-end various processes to AS/400 data without installing Client
Access
on a PC. This sounds like a job for Java or JSP/servlets.
4. Write various programs for Windows CE devices (we have both Compaq IPAQ
and
Dell Axims). Certain applications would benefit from being mobile.
5. More "interactive" reports with drill-down capabilities, various defined
"views", export options, graphing options.

I have too many questions to ask, but those are the kind of things I
envision
doing. How do I approach learning this? When I subscribed to the Java-101
list
a couple of years ago, there were two trains of thought: one was to "jump in
and write code" and the other to "design objects first, code second". While
think a little bit of both is needed, I would prefer to (be able to) take
the
time to properly design the objects needed first, it would seem to make the
rest flow easier. If that's the case, it's a steeper learning curve than
just
learning Java or VB syntax.

Thoughts? Advice? Which do you prefer developing with, why?

Thanks,
Loyd
--
"Why, you can even hear yourself think." --Hobbes
"This is making me nervous. Let's go in." --Calvin