Hi All,

We seem to have inherited a bunch of java source code
with hard-coded IP addresses in them and were looking
for a way to convert all the IP addresses in those
files to dns names.

We are planning on trying the QShell utilities to
achieve this and have gotten as far as listing all the
"java" sources in the IFS tree from QShell and using
sed to change the required line(s). The trouble seems
to be with redirecting this output back to the source
file.

We have tried the following syntax from QShell :

find /java/source/ -name '*.java'  -exec sed -e
's/10.0.5.212/DatabaseServer/g' {} \;

However, attempting to send the sed output back to the
source files by piping it, does not seem to work; i.e.
when we do :

find /java/source/ -name '*.java'  -exec sed -e
's/10.0.5.212/DatabaseServer/g' {} > {}.test \;

 a) all the output goes to one file called {}.test
 b) This file is unreadable from the PC

The manual on the IBM website says "If the string "{}"
appears anywhere in the utility name or the arguments
it is replaced by the pathname of the current file".
What are we doing wrong ? Any suggestions ?

Our requirement is to get replace all the IP addresses
with DNS names in situ. Or at least get the output to
multiple "test" files which we can them move.

Thanks in advance
Narayanan R Pillai