<This is the completed version of the original email.  Sorry, fat thumbs
today...>

I'm somewhat of an experienced simple user of SQL, i.e., never done any joins.

I am now have what appears to be a perfect opportunity to use SQL join to
greatly simplify my
coding.  Knowing that one can use Retrieve Query Mgmt Query (RTVQMQRY) to take
a *QRYDFN and
generate the SQL via ALWQRYDFN(*YES), I use WRKQRY to set up the query, get it
working the way I
want it to, save the *QRYDFN, and use RTVQMQRY to generate the SQL.

So, I am surprised to see that the generated SQL doesn't have any Join clauses
(?) but, instead,
does the join via WHERE, i.e.:
 FROM      PQPROD/PESTCCP T01,
           PQPROD/PTBLCCP T02,
           PQPROD/PJOBHDR T03
 WHERE     T03.CMPNUM = T02.CMPNUM
   AND     T01.CCPTYP = T02.TBLID
   AND     T01.CCPNUM = T02.CCPNUM
   AND     T01.JOBNUM = T03.JOBNUM
   AND(    T01.JOBNUM = 'TACM0170'
   AND     T02.CSTTYP = 'C')

The join in WRKQRY looks like this:
 Field             Test     Field
 T03.CMPNUM        EQ       T02.CMPNUM
 T01.CCPTYP        EQ       T02.TBLID
 T01.CCPNUM        EQ       T02.CCPNUM
 T01.JOBNUM        EQ       T03.JOBNUM

So, what gives?  Is the RTVQMQRY generated SQL the best way to join?

TIA, Dan