Generally it's good to avoid the use of IBM profiles in production
applications and build your own profiles instead.  The reasons vary wildly,
but some recent examples that I recall are:

1) Profiles filling up - Some releases back there were a rash of problems
where profiles were filling up, meaning that they owned too many objects and
there wasn't room for the OS to store the fact that a new object was created
that QSECOFR or QPGMR owned.  This problem hit a lot of shops where the
standard was to have everything owned by QSECOFR or QPGMR.  Once the
profiles filled up it would halt production.  These two profiles were more
prone to problems than others because they already own so many pieces of the
OS.

2) IBM Changed something - in V3R7 IBM changed the behavior of the *PGMR
class such that it no longer automatically received *SAVRST and *JOBCTL
special authorities.  In the process they also pulled those special
authorities from the QPGMR profile.  IMHO this was a good security move on
IBM's part, but many people who had relied on using the QPGMR profile as a
part of their production application got really ticked when their
applications broke.  If you rely on IBM profiles you are subject to the
whims of OS changes.  Better to build your own profile so that a change in
the OS does not necessarily change the way your application operates.  It
also separates the authority that you provide in your application from the
authority that IBM provides to OS functions.

3) QSECOFR is too important to be messed with.  If QSECOFR is disabled or
otherwise made inoperable (such as when it refers to a library in its
library list, and that library is deleted) (<--Been there, done that.), then
you can find yourself in a really tight spot.  Better to create your own
QSECOFR look-a-like and use it for security related stuff.  If you break
your look-a-like profile, you can always sign on as QSECOFR to fix it.  If
you break QSECOFR and you don't have a spare, you're in a tight spot.

These are just some reasons, I'm sure there are more.  For me what it boils
down to is that it is both prudent and inexpensive to create a QSECOFR clone
and save the real QSECOFR for emergencies.

jte

--
John Earl | Chief Technology Officer
The PowerTech Group