From: Adam Lang [mailto:aalang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2003 9:30 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Laser printers

Ultimately, I have found HP laser printers to be the best and friendliest
printers for all workgroup level environments (they don't make any
production systems, you go to Canon for that, which ultimately both
companies use the same fab plants and parts).

I have Laserjet 5, laserjet 4100, 4200, Color laserjet 4500 and color
laserjet 4550 and they work without any issues with the AS/400 and PC
networks.  Plus, they are all based on the laserjet 4 engine, so your
drivers and settings for that will more than likely work fine for anything
newer.

Two weeks ago bought a HP Laserjet 4200N.  35 PPM.  Network ready (all HP
printers that have "N" after the model number ship with the network card).
$1500.

If you want under $1200, you aren't going to get anything over 19 PPM, but
HP has several of those models also.

Keep in mind, a Jetdirect card runs 200-300 dollars, so for network ready,
it adds some cast to the printer.

But I am very much HP proponent in regards to workgroup level printers.