Chuck, I probably know more than enough to be dangerous. When working at the Data Performance lab a couple years ago, we regularly mucked about with LPARs. Learned it all the hard way, as Al says he did.

I'm going to say, it wasn't all that hard, in a way. But I wouldn't hire me right now to set up a critical production system. We could afford to mess up a lab system - that was part of our job - I even found a boundary condition that caused an LPAR to refuse to start.

So, plan-plan-plan. Know what resources you will have - DASD, memory, processors, other hardware. You need a load source for each partition, IIRC.You probably need various separate towers for dedicated peripherals.

And save-save-save. I may end up doing an extra partition here sometime, but I'll be sure I can recover from a gaff.

So, get some school or get some help. And try to watch someone, of you hire it out - once set up, you can probably manage the config on your own pretty easily.

Good luck

Vern