> From: Adam Lang
>
> The problem is if the code was already put into the mainstream.
>
> How do you rewrite code that has been put on public CVS?

How much of IBM's Linux code is on CVS?  And how much of that came from the
AIX product?  From what I read, there's no actual published facts as to
what, if anything, has actually been made public.

> This isn't like you took code and packaged it with your app.  You
> took code
> and gave everyone a copy of it.  You can't take it back from people.

So you rewrite it and replace the old code.  It's now up to the people out
there to replace it or be in infringement.  Let SCO go after them.  I admit,
though, that if there's a lot of this code, it could get sticky.

> It will be an interesting case.

And I say it's a tempest in a teapot.  We'll see who's right.

But you bring up an interesting related point.

Let's say you've been using open source code for a while, and built it into
your mission critical applications.  Now you find out that one of the
contributors to the open source team actually stole the code.  What does
that do to you?

That's a more interesting issue to me.  Do you really know where your Open
Source is coming from?

Joe