Scott,

My opinion.

I'm a big fan of automatic performance adjustment.  I know what I'm doing
with performance on an iSeries and could certainly perform a manual
tuning if the need arose or if there were some special circumstances.
This list is populated with some extremely technically astute individuals
who are (probably) well-compensated as experts in the field.  Some of us
may let pride in our abilities get in the way of an objective opinion.

I've installed a number of AS/400's in shops which did not possess a high
level of platform expertise.  I felt very comfortable turning on
performance adjustment and then leaving it alone.  If their workload
changed, the system would flex with it.  They did not need to go to the
expense of bringing in a consultant to reconfigure their memory pools.
As the cost of hardware declines relative to the cost of an expert's
time, this makes more and more sense.

For those shops which have an expert on staff, it really depends on how
much time they're going to spend tweaking and how much benefit is
obtained from that tweaking.  Personally, I would leave it on autopilot.

Regards,
Andy Nolen-Parkhouse