Tom Liotta / Martin Booth - we seems to have lost the original track: Are
records in non-unique-keyed PF recieved in arrival seq. whithin the key? And
the answer: There is no guarantee for that.
Then I told that I have never *seen* a case where it actually was not in this
order, even after a keyed or non-keyed RGZPFM except for the obvious case that
it is a reuse-deleted file (in which case arival seq. is totally unknown -
should rather be called rrn-seq.) B.t.w. I could suspect that reuse-deleted
files behaves different in this aspect. Never seen it. Probably never looked
for it.
I should of cause have added another obvious situation: After deliberately
re-ordering the physical sequence of records in the file with GSORT (Don't know
what it is), FMTDTA (called s/3 reformatting utility on s/38, I think #DSORT on
s/36, $DSORT on s/3) or in other ways.

But as there is no guarantee for this feature you should not rely on it.

Btw I can recommend FMTDTA as a possibly performence improovement with large
files, even for creating use-once sorted files. I have seen cases where
creating a temporary file and reading this is faster than reading an existing
accesspath! The source for FMTDTA is not easy to read (as ugly as a Cobol
programmer must find old RPGIII code), but there are commands out there to take
command parameters as input in stead of FMTDTA-source.

Henrik