Thanks for a good explanation.  I have been measuring storage with a CL that
is part of our nightly jobs routine.  The system is rather active at that
time.

-----Original Message-----
From: Andy Nolen-Parkhouse [mailto:aparkhouse@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 2003 6:09 AM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: RE: What accounts for storage used by QDBSHR?

Bryan,

You asked whether you should be concerned about a profile using over a
Gigabyte of storage.  Because the profile owns no objects then you're
looking at a very large amount of temporary storage.  I would say yes,
you should be concerned enough to figure out where the storage is being
used.  The degree of concern would relate directly to your amount of
available storage.  Are you measuring this storage when the system is
relatively calm?  If the system is very active (lots of database
activity) at the time you measure, then you are probably viewing normal
activity.

The quote below is from the OS/400 maximum capabilities reference.

"(9) OS/400 maintains internal user profiles that own objects that are
shared or cannot be assigned to a single individual user (for example,
QDBSHR owns shared database objects such as database formats, access
paths, and so on). These internal user profiles are subject to the same
limits as any other user profile on the system."

Regards,
Andy Nolen-Parkhouse