Vern, I tried it too.  You're right.  External indicators won't cut it.  You
did say you'd accept a CL  program to get the menu.

Create 3 message files with the same message number but with your 3
different messages.

On your Menu SDA (Number 17 in PDM) put a +M (25) on the screen where you
want the message displayed.  It will prompt for the message file. library,
and MSG Number.

Write your CL to override the message file to the message file that holds
the message you want displayed.
 In PDM for the menu press F1 and  look for +M(nn).  It'll explain the
messages thing there.

I ran out of time to test this, and am worried that the message may be
snatched at compile time and therefore this solutiion may fail.  Still. it
looks ok

Booth Martin   http://www.MartinVT.com
Booth@MartinVT.com