Yes, IP address should work. The errors you're seeing will have a code
inside them with more detail, but chances are it's a 110: Name not
found. This may be resolved by adding the PC's IP address to the host
table (go CFGTCP, opt 10). Also, make sure you've setup something shared
on the PC so the 400 has something to find. Lastly, keep in mind that
the PC will be accessed with your AS/400 UserID and password, so that
same pairing may need to exist on the PC (I've found that even if the
share on the PC is public, it may still not be visible until the
userid/pw is added to the PC...there may be a reason for this that I'm
not aware of; I didn't really look into it all that far). HTH.

NOTICE: This E-mail may contain confidential information. If you are not
the addressee or the intended recipient please do not read this E-mail
and please immediately delete this e-mail message and any attachments
from your workstation or network mail system. If you are the addressee
or the intended recipient and you save or print a copy of this E-mail,
please place it in an appropriate file, depending on whether
confidential information is contained in the message.