From: Jon Paris [mailto:Jon.Paris@partner400.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 2:54 PM
To: Midrange-L
Subject: XML to 5250

OK - I'm going to try this topic again and this time I have the time to
explain a little more fully what I'm looking for and why.

First I understand _what_ XML is and isn't - I understand that I need a DTD
or schema to define the form of the XML etc. etc. so let's not get into that
again.

What I am trying to do is to build a new app with completely separated UI
logic.  The same base app will be used for multiple customers.  The overall
application flow and the data passing back and forward to the UI is
(relatively) stable from customer to customer _but_ some customers will want
to see the output on a browser, some on a 5250, etc.  Not only that - but
the browser customers will all want different formats.  So will the 5250
users - each one wants the data to look the way they want it.

So - it seemed to me that defining the data in XML and using XSL to do the
browser transforms was a reasonable approach to this.  What I wanted to do
was apply the same principals to the 5250 users.  Since using conventional
DDS based screens does not offer the required flexibility, the notion was to
generate the 5250 XSL (or some internal equivalent) by working with some
kind of design tool to determine where on the screen each piece of the data
should be displayed etc. etc.  The XML would then be transformed into 5250
datastream (and back) by the UI handler.

As noted in the original post - I thought someone already had this but I
can't find it and the links sent to me did not seem to offer this kind of
facility.

So - does this work?  If not - what is the alternative?

Jon Paris
Partner400