> They assure me the AS400's are configured identically,
> through a WAN that the network people say should act just like the LAN.

LAN & WAN are never the same! -
To test the "configured identical" idea:
Ethernet card on both as400s 10 or 10/100 (or larger).
The TCP interface MTU Max Transmission Unit same?
The Line Description parms are same - Ethernet standard,  Line speed?
SSAP parms same & have same max frame sizes

Controller Description - Max Frame & SSAP, DSAP same?

Controller Lan Timers - YOU DON'T WANT THE SAME !!!! Timers for WAN need to
be larger!

See book OS/400 LAN, Frame-Relay and ATM Support,  SC41-5404

The WAN router packet size needs to be set to handle the sna traffic (my
guess is the router is

breaking the packets). If Cisco - they have  info on suggested setup for
AS/400 SNA over Wan.

Regular network tech will not know how to get  SNA over a WAN.  Also, don't
let them

turn off or spoof some of the sna traffic in the router.

hth

jim