From: midrange-l-bounces@midrange.com
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@midrange.com]On Behalf Of Chuck Lewis
Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2003 11:13 AM
To: midrange-l
Subject: Printer Communications Problem

Hi Folks,

Went to a remote site yesterday and hooked up an IBM 4230-102. And all is
great. It came up OK, printed fine etc. It WAS even printing this morning.
Well a little while ago they called and said it wasn't printing. I look at
it and it shows Vary on pending. And they said it showed READY on the LCD
panel. So I try varying it on and off, have them hit stop and start, turn
the thing on and off, etc. And same thing; I show Vary on pending and they
show Ready which made NO sense. So I had them check the comm cable on the on
the back and the turn it off and back on. They do that and it comes up with
022 Unit Address Not Received.  At least THAT makes sense from what I am
seeing. But it gets weirder. We use twisted pair cabling. Well in this
office they only had 2 drops. And they had two terminals. So I did the old
"daisy chain" deal with one of the terminals. The Cat 5 patch cable comes
out of the wall jack and into the Balun in the twin-ax connector on the
printer. Then out of the other side of the twin-ax connector there is
another Balun and Cat 5 patch cable going to a Terminal. And the terminal IS
WORKING FINE.

Any ideas what might be going on ?

Chuck