>Will this affect any existing passwords?
No it will not affect current passwords, only when assigning a new one thru
the CHGPWD
(Change Password) command or the Client Access Signon Panel.
Passwords changed thru WRKUSRPRF or CHGUSRPRF are not edited against the
system values.
To force everyone to change, set passwords as expired =chgusrprf xxx
pwdexp(*yes) and don't let
the boss keep his old password.

>cracking...
many don't want to talk about this in a public forum...   as far as i know
it's never been cracked,
but some security vendor's products can check if you have easily to guess
passwords (without
cracking), kind of a dictionary match.

suggestion - read the Tips and Tools for Securing Your iSeries  SC41-5300-05
(page 25 has
recommended  System Values to stop stupid passwords (expiration, require
digits, limit repeating
characters, repeating old passwords or similar passwords, etc).
hth
jim