I am having a problem attaching an overlay to my spool files.

I created a word document, printed the document to an AFP print driver. Then I sent the file created to the 400 via FTP in binary mode. Using the CRTOVL command I created the overlay. I can print the overlay via the AFP utilities and everything is fine.

NOW

I have tried creating a print file an attaching the overlay via the CRTPRTF file command.
When I call the program that produces the spool file, I get data but no overlay.

I deleted the print file and recreated only this time used DDS command at record level to output the overlay. I compiled, called the program and the same results.

I tried using the OVRPRTF command stating the overlay to be used, compiled and again ran with the same results.

I modified the OVRPRTF command to send to a device I KNOW prints overlays -- it is an IPDS printer and other overlays are printed on it -- different results -- nothing printed.

I have worked with forms and macros on stored on a printer hard drive and/or memory and enabled with PCL commands -- I have never worked with overlays on the 400 -- I am sure I am missing something basic -- BUT time will soon become an issue. Any help anyone can offer is appreciated.

Thanks

Tim Prescott
email: iseries400@sprintmail.com