Rick, is this in an exploratory stage, or is the decision made? Just so we don't discuss needlessly the "whether" matter.

ERWin, and similar products (Popkin makes one, Sybase has one, IIRC) can reverse engineer AS/400 databases into SQL DDL statements. Some can also generate DDS from iSeries tables. OpsNav, now, has a "Generate SQL..." function, but keyed logicals only get a CREATE VIEW generated, not a CREATE INDEX. At least it put in a comment that it ignored the key field specifications. There's also Surveyor, by Linoma. But, generally, you can get a script to recreate your entire set of tables and views and indexes with some of these tools. That's a nice feature of the SQL side of things.

Will you continue as an RPG shop? There's no need (except for join logicals, and some other special functions) to redesign present files. SQL will use them as easily as those generated with SQL DDL (data definition language) statements.

I think there is little to be gained by going to SQL, just to go to SQL. DDS has all the functionality (and more). Do you have a lot of SQL expertise now? Are you transferring data to/from Oracle with SQL, or other means (FTP, etc.)?

OTOH, RPG can use SQL tables and views, but not indexes, IIRC, for native IO. This precludes the benefits of keyed processing in RPG. (I could be off here.)

Please ask more, if it seems useful to do so.

HTH

Vern