The 4234 is capable of doing 12cpi per the sales manual:

"Compressed-mode print capability at 10, 12, 13.3, 15, 16.7,
and 18 CPI and proportional, horizontal spacing (models 7-13 only)."

You "might" have a printer emulating a 4234 that is "not" capable
of 12cpi. You really need to determine the physical machine before
you go on with the problem.

I hesitate to ask, do you have the ovrprtf correct ???

As an example, to use 15cpi, I would do the following:

ovrtprtf file(report) tofile(qprint) pagesize(*n 198) cpi(15)

I have never used anything other than 10cpi or 15cpi so I'm not
sure what the appropriate "pagesize" is for your situation.