Booth,

The last 4234 was withdrawn from marketing in 1994, according to IBM's
sales manual.  So I would imagine that your assumption is correct and
that it was configured as it was to maintain compatibility with the S/36
software.

To confuse things further, I believe that all of the 4234 printers
supported 12 CPI, so the AS/400 drivers should allow this.  You may need
to redefine the printer on the AS/400 or you may need to reconfigure the
printer at its control panel.  Unless you can locate some shipping or
order documents which would list the model, I can't think of how to
determine this information without having someone look at the machine.

It's hard to RTFM when you don't know the model.

Regards,
Andy Nolen-Parkhouse