Can't find any trace of the promo deal (I KNOW I saw one about 2 years
ago) but here's one from March 2000 - announcing withrawal of 6385/6485
from marketing:
http://www2.ibmlink.ibm.com/cgi-bin/master?xh=llm5$oBwFX6F6I2USenGnN9332&request=announcements&parms=H%5F900%2D067&xhi=usa%2Emain&xfr=N

...Neil

rob@dekko.com
Sent by: midrange-l-admin@midrange.com
2002/12/26 09:12
Please respond to midrange-l

        To:     midrange-l@midrange.com
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: QIC Tape 'Survey'

Neil,

I am pretty up on some promotions.  However I either missed that one, or
didn't care.  You think announcements like this would be beneficial to the
list?  Or would they just get lost in the clutter?  Would people figure,
"oh well we aren't going to upgrade for 2 years, therefore I'll wait until
the deal is gone before I act."?

I know a lot of people on the list got excited about greenstreak. However,
many times was it brought up on this list, but, several users ignored it
until the very last and it was pointed out to be a benefit to their
particular situation.

The 6385 has been trouble since it was first introduced.  Tried to be too
backward compatible and it bit them in the ***.   VERY high replacement
record out in the field for the 6385, so I guess they decided it was best
to dump it.  It may have been unfairly criticized in some cases because as
it was so backward compatible and could write QIC120 tapes, a lot of
customers apparently continued to use older tapes on a regular basis,
which were very abrasive to the newer tape heads.  IBM annouced it's
withdrawal from marketing sometime in 2000 I believe, and it was stated
over a year ago that it would no be supported following V5R1.  There were
special upgrade deals announced last year to replace the 6385 with a newer
QIC model (probably the 6383) but I don't know if they are still in place.

...Neil