From: rob@dekko.com [mailto:rob@dekko.com]
Sent: Friday, December 20, 2002 7:31 AM
To: midrange-l@midrange.com
Subject: 25GB tape

We have a 25gb 1/4" 6386 tape drive that we've been having a lot of
problems with.  And with multiple tapes.  Last night we had it ask for a
second tape, (CPA4088).  We were wondering if it freaked out, or if we are
really storing that much data.  Granted I could look and see how much the
tape theoretically held by reviewing the manuals.  However, I was
wondering what your real world experiences were.

If I run the following command:
PRTERRLOG TYPE(*VOLSTAT) VOLTYPE(6386)

I'll receive a printout similar to:
                                                 GDI      12/20/02
08:21:18
Title . . . . . . . . . . :   Volume Statistics Report
System type . . . . . . . :   9406
System model  . . . . . . :   270
System release  . . . . . :   V5R2M0
System name . . . . . . . :   GDI
System serial number  . . :   10-ACCAB
Report type . . . . . . . :   Lifetime Report
Removable media . . . . . :   Self-configured tape and 1/4 inch cartridge
tape
Volume          ---Temporary Errors---   --------K Bytes--------
ID                    Read       Write         Read      Written
1THU12                   0        3170            9      9097207

That is one days statistics.  Therefore it said that it could hold
9,097,207k or 9gb.  That doesn't seem right.  I am suspecting the write
errors threw it all off.  We've had IBM out this week because of other
errors.  They ran some long running diagnostic on it, (we had a nice
lunch).  After which he informed me that we do not have a problem.  I
think our operator will be back on the phone after her cigarette break.

Do any of you span 25gb tapes in your backup?  If so, how many kbytes does
the above report show that your tape will hold?

Benjamin Franklin