Fiona,

Not so lucky,

Same thing happened to us in August. The computer room was in the basement.
Hence, no windows. Temperature went from 72 to 90 degrees in about a half
hour when the S/38 thermal locked. Couldn't even end it with the old 34.
(rotary switch 1 in 3, rotary switch 2 in 4, press LOAD) The bad part was
that for some reason the disk drives stayed powered up and spinning. We had
to kill the power to the system before the drives would shut down. Took
almost half a day to IPL the sucker when we had the room cooled. All in all
a bad couple of days however, hardly any damaged objects.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark Walter
Sr. Programmer/Analyst
Hanover Wire Cloth a div of CCX, Inc.
mwalter@hanoverwire.com
http://www.hanoverwire.com
717.637.3795 Ext.3040
/"\
\ /
/ \

|--------+----------------------------------->
|        |          fiona.fitzgerald@notes.ro|
|        |          yalsun.com               |
|        |          Sent by:                 |
|        |          midrange-l-admin@midrange|
|        |          .com                     |
|        |                                   |
|        |                                   |
|        |          12/19/2002 11:40 AM      |
|        |          Please respond to        |
|        |          midrange-l               |
|        |                                   |
|--------+----------------------------------->

>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |

  |       To:     midrange-l@midrange.com
                              |
  |       cc:
                              |
  |       Subject:     RE: Thats all folks!
                              |

>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Mark writes; "Who could forget the noise and heat those things (3370's)
generated. We had no UPS so when the power went out, Man it was like
heaven."

Mark, you were luckier than you knew. At one site with 2 S/36's and a new
AS/400, the computer-room
air-conditioning failed & we spent those two days with the windows open all
day, as a foot of snow was falling outside.
Such dedication ...  Luckily the auditors didn't know - we kept the room so
secure that they weren't admitted
 - at least not through the door <g>.

Fiona
fiona.fitzgerald@notes.royalsun.com