Jeff Carey wrote:

> We have a java application from a vendor not at all familiar with the
> AS/400.  What they have given us is a CD with a whole bunch
> of jar files
> they say to put in our jre/lib/ext directory,

Doing this avoids having to specify their jars on the classpath.  On our
V5R1 machine, this directory is /QIBM/ProdData/Java400/jdk13/lib/ext.
At least, that's the JDK version.  I can't find a separate JRE one, but
I'll post again if I do.

> and files there
> to be copied
> into the appropriate jre/lib/security folder.

I don't know about this, but I expect it's similar to the above.  Mind
you, since it's to do with security, you may want to get a comment from
someone who does know about it.

> Finally, there is a batch file that calls the java command with the
> appropriate classpath and run parameters.  They say this will
> have to be
> rewritten as a start script for "your appropriate O/S".

Could you post the script?  Unless it's very complex it should be simple
enough to tell you what is needed to make it run under QShell (I'm
assuming it's a Unix-style script, here).

> This application is ultimately to transfer encrypted files
> over https.  I
> don't even see what's going to start the instance of http
> they'll need,
> unless that's what they mean by a start script (which I have no real
> experience with).

ICBW, but I don't think you'll need an HTTP server running on the
machine where this application is running; just one listening on the
relevant port on the machine that the application is connecting to.

> I can see that the batch files does some sort of checking for
> the default
> version of Java - this app needs 1.3, which we have
> installed, but I'm not
> sure if it's the default (or if making it the default will
> impact other
> applications).

You can set the default version for a user by creating a file in their
home directory called SystemDefault.properties.  This file should
contain the following line:

        java.version=1.3

> Can anyone help translate this?

Personally, I think your vendor is being rather lazy.  If they want to
sell a cross-platform solution that targets the iSeries market then they
should take the time to learn a little about the platform.  But you
don't need me to tell you that. ;-)

HTH.

Cheers,

Martin.

--
Martin McCallion
Senior Technical Consultant
Work:  martin.mccallion@misys.com
Home: martin.mccallion@ukonline.co.uk
Misys International Banking Systems
1 St George's Road, London, SW19 4DR, UK
T +44 (0)20 8486 1951
F +44 (0) 20 8947 3373
www.misys.com
This email message is intended for the named recipient only. It may be
privileged and/or confidential. If you are not the  intended named
recipient of this email then you should not  copy it or use it for any
purpose, nor disclose its contents to any other person. You should
contact Misys International Banking Systems as shown below so that we
can take appropriate action at no cost to yourself.
Misys International Banking Systems Ltd,1 St
George's Road, London, SW19 4DR, UK. Email: ibs.postmaster@misys.com.
Tel: +44 (0) 20 8879 1188 Fax: +44 (0) 20 8947 3373
Misys International Banking Systems Ltd is
registered in England and Wales under company no. 971479