We've moved our line printers off to remote outq's serviced by Lantronix print
servers.  Everything works fine.

One little issue is that things that need a device description, like Query/400,
won't
recognize the outq.  They need a device.

So, I searched the archives and found that several people do this by creating a
virtual
printer device.  I can't make it work, so I must be doing something wrong.  Can
anyone point me the right way?

The outq exists in QUSRSYS and is called LANPRT02.  Here's the command I used
to create the virtual device:

CRTDEVPRT DEVD(LANPRT02) DEVCLS(*VRT) TYPE(3812) MODEL(1)
CTL(QVIRCD0001)
FONT(011) MSGQ(*LIBL/QSYSOPR)

This returns the following message:
Output queue LANPRT02 in QUSRSYS already exists.
Description for device LANPRT02 created.

Which you would expect, because it does already exist.

So, I run a query that uses the device description: RUNQRY TESTPRT

And here's what happens:

Not able to allocate objects needed for file QPQUPRFIL in library QSYS
  member or program device LANPRT02.
Not able to allocate object LANPRT02.
Error opening printer file QPQUPRFIL in *LIBL.

Any ideas?

TIA,

Chris