As an OS/400 person, I'm a bit confused about this "open" and "free" OS
thing.  If I buy a Unix box, I don't have to buy the OS license and
support from the vendor?  I can buy a Sun box and just load a downloaded
copy of Unix on it?

And if it is truly open, then what do I do when I need support?  Is that
free?  What sort of testing standards are there for this open code?

I'm sorry, I just don't see the perceived benefit to an open OS as opposed
to a proprietary one.  If that's true, why is the most used OS in the
world (at least in number of machines), Windows, proprietary?   And it
certainly isn't free.

the iSeries is a better box, because it uses advanced concepts like single
level storage and TIMI (technology independent machine interface).  It's
true 64 bit.  And it's OS is the most helpful, stable and consistent that
I've seen.

And what's more - it's all running on a Unix box, if truth be told (or AIX
is running on an iSeries, if you prefer).

If we want to talk about the value of open - then talk about where iSeries
is going - to an open box that will run Unix, OS/400, Linux and/or Windows
(the 64 bit version when it comes out).

I think open hardware like that will have a lot of value over the supposed
value of open software.

Jeff Carey

"Shahan, Ray" <rshahan@SchoolSpecialty.com>
Sent by: midrange-l-admin@midrange.com