I have often thought that what IBM needs to do is to modify the compiler
for DDS so that when display files are compiled in addition to the 5250
stuff that is created, an x-client is also created. This would allow any
platform that has an x-server to run AS400 applications with no more
effort than recompiling the display files. Now it would be nice if IBM
also made additions to DDS so that fancier x-clients could be created,
or even better IBM could create a GUI version of SDA.

Joe Lee

>>> jross-ml@netshare400.com 12/18/2002 10:51:38 >>>
Scott,

You know the 5250 data stream better then I do, but couldn't someone
besides IBM do this by using hidden fields? Like putting button Exit
as
hidden and then text like F3=Exit as normal text. So for a normal data
stream it shows F3=Exit, but on your graphical data stream it makes a
button that has Exit. But it always takes extra work to code for more
then
one platform, green screen and graphical. And going through this with
Java,
all for graphical interfaces just different OSes, it sure makes me
wonder
if it is all worth it.  And IBM might of tired this if more users would
of
tried the scroll bars (that no one I talked with liked on 5250).

And if you want all graphical interface seams like you could come up
with
something if you really needed it, that included how to draw the
screen,
something like the x server on Linux (I have not seen anything on the
server so not sure how it works).

The Linux user group I go to is big into the Linux Terminal Server
Project  http://www.ltsp.org  Which is sort of like what you are
talking
about, the Linux server runs the X server and the clients just displays
the
window. The kernel is loaded off of the server. This project used
TN5250
because they had to also work with an AS/400 (green screen).
http://www.ltsp.org/longstory.php

And it is not all IBM's fault, sometimes it could because the AS400
community it so slow to adopt new technology or learn anything on their
 own.

John Ross