Steve,

> We should be picking on IBM, not the iSeries...

Maybe we should be picking on iSeries Developers--ourselves.

If the iSeries is as great as we all say, and I am just as big an iSeries
bigot as anyone, where are all of the great applications to show for it?
Where can a small business get an application as good as say Goldmine to
manage their sales, and isn't that where a lot of businesses will start?
After all, this thread started with a message that the iSeries is losing
the small business battle.  I think it is losing because the applications
are not there.  The operational characteristics of the iSeries fit the
needs of a small business perfectly, but where is the software?  Please do
not suggest a green screen application.

What size company do you have to be before the iSeries starts to make
sense?  A small business starting from scratch is not likely going to
build their own applications, nor should they.  What is the likelihood
that the applications that are appropriate for their business will involve
an iSeries?

I guess my point is that the technology of the iSeries can be great, but
that still does not automatically make it the best choice for a lot of
businesses out there.  It is kind of a hackneyed expression but
"businesses buy software, not hardware".

Mark