> From: Scott Klement
>
> Personally, I think Konrad has made some good points.   While I also see
> the merits of the iSeries world, you do have to remember that we on this
> list are the minority.

Konrad mentioned a few issues, but didn't make any points.  His constant
ignorance or distortion of the facts made most of his statements pretty
useless.  If we're going to discuss shortcomings (which you all know I am
not afraid of doing) then let's do so factually and objectively.

> Most people would rather have Windows than OS/400.  Many companies are
> migrating to Windows.  Many more have already done so.  I think it's
> important to consider these things, and understand them.

This is the sad truth.  But at the same time, many companies are rethinking
this strategy.  In the end, there will be two markets: cheap and industrial
strength.  The cheap market will be the low-end client who isn't hurt by
regular downtime and data loss, and will factor it in as part of the cost of
doing business.  Windows/*nix will play well here.  But for the industrial
strength market, the AS/400 is the choice to beat, IMO.

> If we continue to say the same things about "stability" and "TCO" that
> we've been saying for the past 5 years, then where will we be 5 years
> from now?   If nothing changes, then the same trend will continue.

But Scott, the AS/400 has had the most radical series of changes of any
platform in the last year, five years, 10 years, whatever period you want.
The fine folks at IBM are constantly expanding the machine.  Lately we've
gotten ILE, Java, free-form RPG, WebSphere, Linux and LPAR, just to name a
few.  Compared to us, Unix evolves at a snail's pace, and Windows doesn't
evolve, it simply puts out new versions.  (What's the difference?  Well, our
programs written 10 years ago still run - try that on a Windows machine.
Except don't get me started on WebSphere SE and V5R2.)

> IF we want to be advocates for the system, we need to find ways to
> understand it's shortcomings and do whatever we can to overcome them.

Agreed.  But we also have to be ADVOCATES.  Which means ADVOCATING the
system.  Knowing its strengths, and making sure those strengths are
explained to management at every possibility.  Because I guarantee that the
server farm hypesters are doing it today.

Joe