> From: Konrad Underkofler
>
> Your rants are pretty funny if way disconnected
> from reality. I have seen the Gantner "research"
> and find it to be lacking. Best business logic
> server on the planet? You are too funny for words.
> Call the press IBM has a new marketing plan! Now
> if I only had a need for a business logic server
> instead of a computer I would be all set.

TO THE LIST:

Linda thinks I should shut up and stop talking about this subject.

Konrad's position is obvious.  I suppose the fact that he confuses Gantner
and Gartner would relieve any need for me to comment further.  The
additional observation that the "CS grad" group doesn't understand the basic
concepts behind n-tier design put forth by this particular "joke" is also a
pretty telling statement.

I dunno.  I guess I take it too personally.  I take this list too
personally.  I think we as a group ought to beat statements like these with
big sticks.  NOT the people, mind you - they're just, in most cases,
misguided and beating them would do no good.

Why do I care?  Because I see these statements quoted elsewhere.  Some of
our industry rags have been known to pull statements out of the mailing
lists and "report" them as news.  I know of many occasions where I have
received one of the more idiotic statements in the list copied to me in an
email, with a note along the lines of "See? The AS/400 is dead and Unix
actually does make your teeth whiter!"

So, should I care?  I don't know.  I guess I should just relax and quit
worrying, and assume that you fine folks know the difference between the
illuminating and the inane.  In any event, I'm tired of fighting battles
like this.

"...if I only has a need for a business logic server instead of a
computer..."

Cripes, what are they TEACHING in CS these days?

Joe "The Strident One" Pluta