> From: Konrad Underkofler
>
> I was only going to resort to facts when you did,
> since you whined about TCO, TCO, TCO, TCO without
> ever giving an example I felt no need rebuke that
> piece of your arguement.

Total cost of ownership figures readily available from Gartner.  Do some
research.

> Hopefully the world will be free of iSeries zealots
> and bigots some day.

And instead populated by Nintechnicians.  The fact that you compare game
development to business application development is a pretty telling fact in
and of itself.

> I am afraid all the ranting about
> how great the AS/400 was/is just makes the people doing
> it seem so out of touch with reality

Nope, we just like facts.

> not to mention
> appearing to be a joke to the recent CS college grads.

Again, I kind of like the fact that recent CS grads think I'm a joke.  It
means I'm doing something right.

> Enough! I will agree the iSeries is a great niche box
> but to promote it as the best solution for all that
> ails most companies is outright retarded.

Never said "all that ails", and you know it.  This is hyperbole meant to
obfuscate.  My point is that the AS/400 is the best business logic server on
the planet, based on any of a number of measures, including but not limited
to TCO, time to market, and ease of programming.  Combined with a solid
n-tier design and a good GUI development team, it's the best business
application server available.

It's not an Xbox, and never will be.  We leave those to the CS grads.

Joe