But, Adam, the operative word in your message (below) is "quality".

I have been involved in IT consulting for many years, and most companies
that go this route don't understand that it requires a TOTAL change in
methodology (or, gasp, introduction of a methodology where there was none).
Methodologies also cost the company, in terms of time and $$$.

Many of them (including my current client) think that they can still run
things the same old "loosey-goosey" way and still achieve the 60 % - 75 %
cost reduction by using offshore "resources" (yes, I have heard that term so
many times it makes me sick...we are not people - just expendable resources
like paper and pencils).

It ain't going to happen.

The old adage "you get what you pay for" is what comes to mind.  And if you
are paying a "coder" in India, Russia, China, or wherever only $ 25.00 per
hour or less to produce the work, you are probably going to get crap code if
you don't have extremely detail specifications and deliverables documented
and agreed upon in contractual form, with retainage or penalties to
guarantee that they stay on track.

And, of course, you know that everyone documents their projects in great
detail....AND they NEVER make any changes during the project
implementation....<grin>

IMO, offshore outsourceing just a way to get through tough times.  Soon as
things get better (or they figure out it's not working out like they
planned), many companies will staff up again and do much of the work
in-house, only outsourcing the CLEARLY defined projects to be done by
offshore consultants.

Brings to mind:  Featherkile's Rule. Whatever you did, that's what you
planned.

Steve Landess
Austin, Texas
(512) 423-0935