Hi Chris,

The SNMP driver is included as part of the base OS/400 operating system
starting at V4R5 and going forward. All OS/400 V5Rx releases include the
driver as part of the base OS/400 printing system. It can be made active on
V4R4 and V4R3 by applying an appropriate PTF.

The significant differences between the OS/400 PJL and SNMP drivers are as
follows:

1. PJL driver can support multiple printer device descriptions at the same
IP address. As an example, the OS/400 PJL driver can fully support an
external HP JetDirect device supporting three printers. You can create
separate OS/400 printer device descriptions that print to TCP ports 9000,
9001, 9002 in order to support three separate printers attached to the
JetDirect interface. The SNMP driver only supports one OS/400 defined
printer connection per IP address at this time.

2. The PJL driver is compatible with a wide variety of HP PCL compatible
laser printers being sold in the market today. It is also compatible with
impact printers typically sold to end users with HP-UX, HP 3000, or Tandem
(now HP-Compaq Himalaya Non-Stop) host computers, which use PJL to support
recovery to the last page known to have printed correctly in a large spool
file. These hosts call the feature PLR (page level recovery). The feature
replicates the spool file error recovery functions of OS/400 that many
iSeries - AS/400 end users really like. There is a small group of impact
(frequently shuttle matrix) printers that support the PCL level 2 printer
language and minimal PJL commands to be compatible with the requirements of
PLR that are sold into these special host environments. The OS/400 PJL
driver is generally not compatible with many PostScript laser printers, most
impact printers (ex. Epson, Lexmark, Printek, OKI, etc.), and most thermal
printers (Datamax, Intermec, SATO, Zebra, etc.).

The OS/400 SNMP driver is compatible with all types of printers. The only
requirement is that the attachment used to connect the printer to the
network (internal NIC, external print server) needs to support the SNMP
protocol.

HTH

Best Regards,

/Paul
--
Paul Tykodi
National Product Manager

p: 603-431-0606 x115
f: 603-436-6432
E-mail: paul@intermate-us.com
www.intermate.com

>From: Chris Bipes <chris.bipes@cross-check.com>
>To: "'midrange-l@midrange.com'" <midrange-l@midrange.com>
>Subject: RE: AS400 Printing to HP8550 ColorlaserJet
>Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 08:26:42 -0800
>
>I just wanted to say that I was listening and I thank you for giving me the
>solution to the problem we have been living with for too long.  Does the
>same go for V5R1?  We are upgrading this weekend.
>
>Chris Bipes

(snip)