I hate to say it but it looks like someone needs an attitude adjustment.
Instead of looking at it like a boring job you need to think of it as an
opportunity to learn while getting paid.

Also instead of looking at how to run these commands you need to determine
what information you are getting from these commands, and automate that.
With QSYSOPR most just put that in *BREAK mode at a certain level to get
the messages right away. But you could look at putting a "Break handling
program" on the message queues QSYSOPR and QFAXOPR and sending certain
messages to your user profiles message queue, or sending break messages to
your work station, answering some of the messages, etc. With the WRKACTJOB
you could look at the API's that do the same thing using an RPG program and
send messages about what ever you are looking at it for.

I have always wanted to look at the writing a  RPG program using Acquire to
see if I could send information to another workstation
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/qbkaqv00/11.20.1?
you could do that with your message handling program.

You could read Scott Klement's Socket Tutorial
http://klement.dstorm.net/rpg/socktut/index.html
to get an understanding of sockets and then learn Java and write a program
on the AS/400 in ether RPG or Java and a PC program in Java that displays
and allows replies to messages.

You could look at loading Operations Navigator and see what that has in it
for watching the system, and what else if offers.

 Or you can just keeping looking at a green screen, cashing your checks
and automating the running of commands.

Sorry if I sound mean, that is not how I wanted it to sound. But I talk to
people all the time who are out of work and would love a paycheck, and who
are having to try and learn new stuff on their own time and money. I
understand you may not have access to a PC, but you have to look at what
you do have access to and what your company will allow you to do and see
how you can use that to learn.

Regards
John Ross