From: "Steve Landess" <steve_landess@hotmail.com>
To: <midrange-l@midrange.com>
Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2002 4:44 PM
Subject: Adventures in iPTF - anybody using it?

> --
> All,
>
> I don't have a support line agreement with IBM, so I don't have the
ability to order PTF's at no charge on CD-ROM media (at least that is my
understanding).

> SO....
>
> I registered last night on IBM's web site for
iPTF(http://www-912.ibm.com/supporthome.nsf/Document/10000083), then sent a
PTF order for PTF SF99510 (the lastest cum) for V5R1M0.  Since this was
larger than you can immediately download, I received back an email with a
user id & password and instructions for downloading the image files from
IBM's FTP site.

> Then the fun begins:
>
> All of the following was done from a DELL PIII 866 on my home network
running Windows 2000 Server SP3 with IE 6 browser with all of the latest
fixes behind a Linksys router with  the DMZ set to my PC's IP address on the
RoadRunner network here in Austin.

> 1) I first tried following the instructions for downloading the PTF images
via my web browser by clicking the link specified in the email.  When I
clicked on this link , my browser locked up each time I tried it.  Each
time, I eventually had to go to the task manager and cancel the browser
session, because it was totally locked up.

> 2) I tried using SmartFTP to download these files (using both passive and
active modes).  It was able to copy the small text files, but when I tried
copying the binary image files, it also either locked up or the file
transfer canceled after a few seconds.

> 3) I tried to use FTP from a command window.  I was able to log on to the
FTP site, but it locked up when I tried to GET the first file, so I had to
cancel this also.

> 4) I know there is an option to do this with Ops Navigator, but I haven't
had enough experience with this option to try it yet.  Plus, it looks like I
need to have Management Central running to use Ops Navigator to download
PTF's, and I tried but couldn't get the *MGTC service started.  (This in
itself could probably be another whole message thread)...

> 5) I did NOT try downloading these files directly to my AS/400, mainly
because I haven't yet read about how to set up image catalogs in order to
use them from the IFS.  I figured that if I could download these binaries to
PC, I could burn them to CD's and load them from the burned CD's.

> 6) I also navigated to the iSeries Access Service Packs site
(http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/access/casp.htm) and attempted
to download the latest CAE service pack for V5R1M0 (SI05361), and my browser
locked up when I clicked the link for this service pack.

> At 2:00 am, I finally gave up and went to bed....
>
> In the worst case, I can probably just borrow a copy of the CD's from a
friend if I have to.  I was just trying to see if I could do it via the
internet.  I thought I could just let the files download overnight and have
them ready the next morning.  (Sounds too easy, huh?).

> Have any of you used this option to download PTF's?  If so, have you
experienced this level of difficulty in downloading PTF's?