Mark,

I think others have suggested it (I threw away the posts, after quickly reading
them),  but  I would think in the line of :

SELECT fields, 'A' AS Token
FROM  file
WHERE SUBSTR(fielda, 1, 1) <> 'X' AND SUBSTR(fielda, 1, 3) <> 'DSL'
UNION
SELECT fields, 'B' AS Token
FROM  file
WHERE SUBSTR(fielda, 1, 3) = 'DSL'
UNION
SELECT fields, 'C' AS Token
FROM  file
WHERE SUBSTR(fielda, 1, 1) = 'X'
ORDER BY Token, fields

With Query Manager you can create a FORM  with Token as the Break Level.

Just a thought.

Regards,
Carel Teijgeler.