It should be noted that a builtin form of packet filtering can indeed prevent
outbound green-screen telnet (or ftp or...) to specific ports, IP addresses,
sub-nets, etc., though I haven't seen a way to control by user (nor have I
looked).

In OpsNav under the iSeries connection in question, expand Network/IP Policies,
then select the <Configuration> pop-up menu item for Packet Rules. Begin with
<File/New File> and immediately create a default filter set that allows
everything -- this will become a catch-all filter set that will be added as the
final filter set in all rules you create until you learn enough to avoid
locking yourself out when you activate rules.

Handy tip: _ALWAYS_ have a non-TCP/IP session available when testing, e.g., a
twinax console or SNA passthru. If this is not reasonable, then do something
ahead of time such as submit a scheduled job to run the RMVTCPTBL TBL(*IPFTR)
command a few minutes in the future to undo whatever you did because it's
trivially easy to lock OpsNav out along with almost everything and everyone
else. The default behavior is to _deny_ everything that you didn't explicitly
allow and that facility works _very_ well.

There are reasons not to use Packet Rules, but the rules definitely work. Take
care in implementing and be aware of potential TCP/IP performance issues, etc.

Anybody know of a good write-up on this? Experimentation is not the best way to
learn it, especially on a production system.

Tom Liotta

midrange-l-request@midrange.com wrote:

>   7. Re: query on ip configuration (Dr Syd Nicholson)
>
>Further to my previous comment:
>
>Packet filtering should be able to block specific traffic from the
>internal network, but it won't prevent a user on a green screen session
>using telnet/ftp to another machine.
>
>Syd Nicholson
>

>KSI wrote:
>
>>--
>>[ Picked text/plain from multipart/alternative ]
>>
>>Hi All,
>>
>>I'm facing a typical situation.  I have a iseries server with a single eth=
>ernet card, configured for 3 network addresses.  one internal & two extenal=
> ip's( all with seperate route, subnet mask).  The surprising thing is the =
>user who's configured to the local network (does not have any access to the=
> external ip's) connects to the iseries server. And....from here he can do =
>a telnet/ftp to any server that is attached to the external network(interne=
>t).  Can anyone comment how is it possible for the local user connected to =
>the iseries to gets access to the internet??
>>
>>How to restrict the local user from accessing the external network (intern=
>et) when connected to the iseries having a external ip configured??

Tom Liotta
The PowerTech Group, Inc.
19426 68th Avenue South
Kent, WA 98032