I agree about doing a comm trace (STRSST, option 3), however the error
that you mention to me says the dial never happened, or the connection
never happened, so there is not likely anything traced.  The comm trace
data does not start being recorded until the modem line/ctl/dev goes
active and the first SYN character is sent.
You should reset your modem, and may even try to reset the IOP on the
vary on command.
cjg

Carl J. Galgano
EDI Consulting Services, Inc.
550 Kennesaw Avenue, Suite 800
Marietta, GA  30060
(770) 422-2995 - voice
(419) 730-8212 - fax
mailto:cgalgano@ediconsulting.com
http://www.ediconsulting.com
AS400 EDI, Networking, E-Commerce and Communications Consulting and
Implementation
http://www.icecreamovernight.com
Premium Ice Cream Brands shipped Overnight

"You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know" - rw

Rob,

we've experienced numerous problem with this exact combination:
Peregrine and GEIS. The likely cause of your issue could be any of the
ones you named. To resolve it, there is a few things you can do:

1. Retry by answering the message with a C, if applicable and restarting
your session. You can also put a trace on the phone line to verify what
is hapenning, if you are familiar with the ACKs and so forth, actual
communication sessions low-level logs.

2. If the problem is related to your modem, you could try resetting it,
if it is local to you. The main setting in the AS400 config would be the
DSR timeout, try increasing it.

3. GEIS could be not answering, although that would also generate a
different message to that effect. Depending on what number you are
calling, the modem pool is not always available. Chances are they will
never admit to this.

4.  The phone line also could be an issue, although this is probably the
least likely cuplrite. Last place I would look.

5. Switch to FTP/HTTP(S)!

       Normally the Peregrine software, (or whatever their nom du jour
is),
       works
       fine.  But lately we've been having an issue with recurring
errors
       during
       communications.  Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't.
       A sample is:
       CPA5902:  Controller CN2196BSC not contacted. Call out request
       failed. (C
       R)

Any suggested problem handling steps?
       Replace the modem?
       Change some configuration settings in the line and/or controller
       descriptions?
       Replace the phone line?
       Problem at remote end (GEIS)?