Got this from Dick,  I am forwarding it to the list

John Carr
--------------
James Rich

There are several public web sites you might want to look at to "get the
facts".
Ideas International is at:
http://www.ideasinternational.com   ...

They posts multiple public benchmark results for lots of different BM
Consortiums.
IdeasInternational posts there findings in various "Top-10" results for
each of the BMs they track.

And from there you can get to the orginal SPEC consortium web site which
has the detail BM submission reports by each of the
vendors.  Our SPECWeb99SSL submission is posted on their site at:
http://www.spec.org/osg/web99ssl/results/res2002q3/web99ssl-20020819-00025.html

I would also encourge the writer to consider the "Powered by Apache" vs
Zeus web server discussion.  Whereas HP has recently
exceed our result .... they continue to use a "benchmarketing special" web
server, i.e. Zeus.

And when one reviews the Netcraft Survey on:
http://www.netcraft.com/survey
he would see that Apache Server is used 64% of the time in production web
sites, and Zeus is <2%.  There are many reason why Apache is preferred.

Bottom line is that the iSeries Benchmark measurement team uses what we
SELL/INSTALL to do our benchmarks.  We do not
use benchmark specials and then install some other tool or web
server....just to try to get good BM results.

Active Sites * Sept'02 * Percent * Oct'02 * Percent * Change

Apache         *10449418 *64.85          *10470848      *65.39 *0.54
Microsoft *4071863  *25.27         *4013397   *25.06    *-0.21
iPlanet   *237802   *1.48          *227424    *1.42     *-0.06
Zeus      *220729   *1.37          *215957    *1.35     *-0.02

I would also encourage the reader to remember that not all applications
scale well on some platforms and that not all applications lend themselves
to be parsed out across multiple systems (multiple 4 ways) to beat a 16 way
SMP.  It is well recognized in the tech trade press and consulting
community that
multiple systems are significantly more expensive to own/operate (Total
Cost of Ownership) than a single system offers.  For refer, I would suggest
IDC, Gartner and Giga Group consulting reports.

Richard Odell - iSeries Performance Marketing
Dept HP4, Rochester Lab
http://ca-web.rchland.ibm.com/perform/perfmenu.htm
rjodell@us.ibm.com
8-553-6526, (507) 253-6526

This message is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain confidential material.  If you are not the
intended recipient, any use, distribution or other action taken in reliance
on this message is prohibited.  If you received this message in error,
please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.