I would agree that F4 prompting is pretty cool, and agree more strongly yet
that the HELP key (or F1 in *almost* all cases as an alternative) is even
more cool.

I am an iSeries/AIX/HPUX/Linux/Winblows guy with a lot of experience in all
of those environments.  I've written a potful of applications on all of
those environments.  This is not to brag (those things and $1.50 will get
me on the subway in NYC)... just to set the stage.

The primary difference is in philosophy.  The iSeries has its own
philosophy; *nix has a vastly differing one.  The ability to succeed on any
of these platforms, is directly related to the ability to live within the
philosophical design of that system.  On iSeries, it's HELP and F4 (and
midrange-L).  On *nix, it's man and google (and unix-wiz list).  They all
serve their functions, and it is in understanding those functions that
proficiency resides.  They're not better or worse... just different.

Each has its limitations; each has its advantages.  Try:
   ls "$(awk '/files:/ {print $3}' | sed 's/a/z/g')*" | more
on your iSeries system.

iSeries won't like it, but that's because it's different.

I like that I can use man on commands whether I have the correct authority
or not.  I do NOT like the AS/400s propensity toward hiding even the help
for commands you're not authorized to.  But, hey, it's just because they're
different.

I like that I can make extensive, intelligent use of hierarchical
filesystems on *nix... and am disappointed that the same facility isn't
available to the bulk of OS/400 facilities.

The iSeries and its predecessor the S/38 have always been known as
"programmer's machines."  It's a really easy design; menuing is a snap,
everything can be made quite simple.  The alternative systems are more
designed for running server types of applications.  No better, no  worse;
just different.

You can do a lot with both.  Most of what you can do with one, you can do
with the other.  It does no good to get mad because someone likes one over
the other; they're just different from one another.

It makes me wonder what someone who has administrative and programming
responsibilities on an LPAR system feels about his job.  Me, I'd love it!
But then, I'm different.

Dennis

"Adam Lang" <aalang@rutgersinsurance.com>@midrange.com on 11/13/2002
02:10:27 PM