What does the printer do with the data it requests?

I suspect this is a windows specific function, where the windows driver
requests this info before sending the print to the printer. Presumably
it must record this info somewhere and for some reason, otherwise it is
pointless data.

It would not surprise me if you could print direct to the printer using IP.

Most new printers are accessible via a web browser. Try going to
http://YourPrinterIPAddress to find out details about this printer

Does this printer have an IP address?
What is the name of the printer queue on this machine (eg LPT1, or PRT1)?

Try changing the outq to facilitate IP printing as follows:

CHGOUTQ  OUTQ(Library/OutQName) RMTSYS(*INTNETADR)
RMTPRTQ(RemotePrinterQueueName)  AUTOSTRWTR(1)  CMNTYPE(*IP)
DESTTYPE(*OTHER)  TRANSFORM(*YES)  MFRTYPMDL(*HP6)
INTADDRADR(xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)  TEXT('Text description of your printer')

With a bit of luck, this configuration, or something like it will work.

I have used this technique to print to many Canon photocopier/printers.

Syd Nicholson

Cyndi Bradberry wrote:

I hope someone else has done this.  I have been presented with an Cannon
ImageRunner 5000 and told to make it print reports from the AS/400. We are
on the same network.

This copier/digital printer requires you to enter a department ID before the
item is printed. From windows this is not a problem. A little box pops up
and you key in your id number and your stuff prints.

But from the 400, I don't know what to do. Is this a job for the
customization thing ? We have an outq and device created on the 400, as a
3812 lan connected printer with a *HP6 manufacturer type because the vendor
told us that we needed to have Postscript compatibility like the HP6. The
vendor is not a lot of help. I asked for help and got some unix stuff.

Of course, they sold management on these things as a way of reducing paper
usage (large jobs that could duplex) and workload on our local printers. And
they are supposed to be faster.

I appreciate any help I can get.

Cyndi B.
Boise, ID