Hi, Folks:

Here's my meger offering for a member-finding application.

The application posted before has beauty in its simplicity, and I will not
argue with that.  I put this out although there was already another
application posted, for a few reasons:

I believe in the QSYSINC copy code, and make extensive use of it.  You may
(or may not) find the pointer use to get around some of the QSYSINC
limitations interesting.

I believe also in extensive error handling, and in modularization of code.
This application, which I culled from a bigger special-purpose application,
could be more modular, but ....

There are no external requirements (such as DB files) used by this
application.

SO for what it's worth, here is the command source:

             CMD        PROMPT('Find a file member by name')
             PARM       KWD(MEMBER) TYPE(*GENERIC) LEN(10) MIN(1) +
                          PROMPT('Member name')
             PARM       KWD(LIB) TYPE(*NAME) LEN(10) DFT(*USRLIBL) +
                          SNGVAL((*USRLIBL) (*LIBL) (*CURLIB) +
                          (*ALLUSR) (*ALL)) MAX(50) +
                          PROMPT('Library/ies to search')
             PARM       KWD(INFILE) TYPE(*GENERIC) LEN(10) DFT(*ALL) +
                          SPCVAL((*ALL)) PROMPT('File name(s) to +
                          search')
             PARM       KWD(FILTYP) TYPE(*NAME) RSTD(*YES) +
                          DFT(*PHYSICAL) SPCVAL((*PHYSICAL PF) +
                          (*LOGICAL LF) (*ANY) (PF) (PF38) (LF) +
                          (LF38)) PROMPT('Type of files to search')

And the ILE RPG source:

     H/TITLE Find a file member on the system
FNDMBR
     H OPTION(*NOSHOWCPY:*NOEXPDDS:*NODEBUGIO)
      *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
      *+Find a member by name anywhere in the system                     -*
      * This application will find and list (via message) all the members *
      * that match the specified name, in any files on the system         *
      * Parameters:                                                       *
      *   Member name (generic* OK)   CHAR  10                            *
      *   Libraries                   CHAR 502                            *
      *   Files to search (Generic*)  CHAR  10                            *
      *   Filetype                    CHAR  10  PF LF *ANY PF38...        *
      * ---Log---------------------------------------Author-------Date--- *
      *+Original version                             Lovelady    8Nov2002-*
      * ---End of log---------------------------------------------------- *
      *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

      *+  PLEASE keep the next two lines TOGETHER!!!           -
     D/Copy qsysinc/qrpglesrc,qusec
     D QUSED01                     1024
      *+  PLEASE keep the previous two lines TOGETHER!!!           -
     D/Copy qsysinc/qrpglesrc,quslobj
     D/Copy qsysinc/qrpglesrc,quslmbr
     D/Copy qsysinc/qrpglesrc,qusgen

      * IBM API QMHSNDPM will send a message to a program message queue.
      * We use this API to log CL commands before executing them, and
      * to inform the user of invalid / exceptional conditions.

     DQUSLOBJ_API      PR                  ExtPgm('QUSLOBJ')
     D  UserSpace                          const like(QualName)
     D  FormatName                    8    const
     D  QualObj                            const like(QualName)
     D  ObjectType                   10    const
     D  ErrorStruct                        like(QUSEC) Options(*varsize)

     DQMHSNDPM_API     PR                  ExtPgm('QMHSNDPM')
     D  MessageID                          const like(QUSEI)
     D  MessageFile                        const like(MsgFile)
     D  MessageData                   1    const Options(*varsize)
     D  LengthMsgDta                 10I 0 const
     D  MessageType                  10    const
     D  CallStackEnt                 10    const Options(*varsize)
     D  CallStkEntCtr                10I 0 const
     D  MessageKey                         like(MsgKey)
     D  ErrorStruct                        like(QUSEC) Options(*varsize)

      * IBM API QUSLMBR will list the members in a file.  Output is to a
      * user space.

     D QUSLMBR_API     PR                  ExtPgm('QUSLMBR')
     D   UserSpace                         const like(QualName)
     D   FormatName                   8    const
     D   FileName                          const like(QualName)
     D   MbrName                     10    const
     D   Overrides                    1    const
     D   ErrorStruct                       like(QUSEC)

     D CrtUsrSpace     PR              *
     D  UsrSpcName                         Const Like(QualName)
     D  UsrSpcDescr                  50    Const

     D SendEscape      PR
     D  MsgID                              Const Like(QUSEI)
     D  MsgData                            Const Like(QUSED01)

     D SndMsg          PR
     D   MSGID                             Const Like(QUSEI)
     D   MSGDTA                            Const Like(QUSED01)
     D   TOPGMQ                      10    Const
     D   MSGTYPE                     10    Const

      * IBM API QUSDLTUS will delete a user space.

     DQUSDLTUS_API     PR                  ExtPgm('QUSDLTUS')
     D   SpaceName                         const like(QualName)
     D   ErrorParm                         like(QUSEC)

     D  ObjUsrSpc      C                   'FINDMBROBJQTEMP'
     D  MbrUsrSpc      C                   'FINDMBRMBRQTEMP'
     D  QCPFMSG        C                   'QCPFMSG   *LIBL'

      * Parameters

     D ParmMbrName     S             10
     D ParmLibNames    DS
     D   InLibCount                   5I 0
     D   InLibName                   10    Dim(50)
     D ParmInFile      S             10
     D ParmFileType    S             10

      * Pointers

     D pCurrObj        S               *
     D pCurrMbr        S               *
     D pMbrSpace       S               *
     D pObjSpace       S               *
     D pSpace          S               *

      * Other variables

     D CmdString       S           2048
     D Encountered     S              9  0
     D ErrorsOK        S              1N   Inz(*Off)
     D i               S              5  0
     D j               S              5  0
     D LibNbr          S              9  0
     D LogCommand      S              1N   Inz(*Off)
     D MbrNbr          S              9  0
     D NbrMembers      S             10I 0
     D NbrObjects      S             10I 0
     D ObjNbr          S              9  0
     D QualName        DS
     D  ObjName                      10
     D  LibName                      10
     D ReturnLib       S             10
     D SizMbrEntry     S             10I 0
     D SizObjEntry     S             10I 0
     D MsgFile         S             20    Inz(QCPFMSG)
     D MsgKey          S              4
     D MsgPgmQ         S             10    Inz('*')
     D MsgType         S             10    Inz('*COMP')
     D Processed       S              5  0
     D ResultCmd       S           2048
     D ResultCmdLen    S             10I 0
     D StackCnt        S             10I 0 Inz(*Zero)
     D NotProcessed    S              5  0
     D MbrProcessed    S              1N
     D VarStruct       S          32767    Based(pSpace)

     C     *Entry        Plist
     C                   Parm                    ParmMbrName
     C                   Parm                    ParmLibNames
     C                   Parm                    ParmInFile
     C                   Parm                    ParmFileType

     d* Move input and output filenames into work fields (we may change
     d* our copy, and shouldn't touch the original).
     C                   Exsr      InzFields
     C                   Eval      pObjSpace =
     C                                   CrtUsrSpace(ObjUsrSpc:
     C                                         'Files on the system')
     C                   Eval      pMbrSpace =
     C                                   CrtUsrSpace(MbrUsrSpc:
     C                                         'Members in files')
     C                   For       LibNbr = 1 to InLibCount
     C                   ExSR      GetObjList
     C                   EndFOR

     C                   Eval      *INLR=*On
      * Delete user space and work file.
     C                   ExSR      CleanUp

     CSR   InzFields     BegSR
      * Initialize variables                                              *
      * Initialize our internal message work area
     C                   Eval      QUSEC = *Loval
     C                   Eval      QUSBPRV = %Size(QUSEC)
     CSR                 EndSR

     CSR   GetObjList    BegSR
     C                   CallP     QUSLOBJ_API(
     C                                        ObjUsrSpc
     C                                      : 'OBJL0200'
     C                                      : ParmInFile +
     C                                        InLibName(LibNbr)
     C                                      : '*FILE'
     C                                      : QUSEC)
     C                   If        (QUSBAVL > 0)
     C                   CallP     SendEscape(QUSEI: QUSED01)
     C                   EndIF

     C                   Eval      pSpace = pObjSpace
     C                   Eval      QUSH0100 = VarStruct

     C                   Eval      NbrObjects  = QUSNBRLE
     C                   Eval      SizObjEntry = QUSSEE
     C                   Eval      pCurrObj = pObjSpace + QUSOLD

     C                   For       ObjNbr = 1 to NbrObjects
     C                   Eval      pSpace = pCurrObj
     C                   Eval      QUSL020002 = VarStruct
     C                   If        ParmFileType = '*ALL'
     C                             or ParmFileType =
     C                                %Subst(QUSEOA:1:
     C                                       %Len(%Trim(ParmFileType)))
     C                   Eval      QualName = QUSOBJNU00 + QUSOLNU00
     C                   ExSR      GetMbrList
     C                   EndIF
     C                   Eval      pCurrObj = pCurrObj + SizObjEntry
     C                   EndFOR
     CSR                 EndSR

     CSR   GetMbrList    BegSR
      * Retrieve list of members into user space.                         *
     C                   CallP     QUSLMBR_API(
     C                                       MbrUsrSpc
     C                                     : 'MBRL0200'
     C                                     : QualName
     C                                     : ParmMbrName
     C                                     : '0'
     C                                     : QUSEC
     C                                      )
     C                   If        (QUSBAVL > 0)
     C                   CallP     SendEscape(QUSEI: QUSED01)
     C                   EndIF

     C                   Eval      pSpace = pMbrSpace
     C                   Eval      QUSH0100 = VarStruct

     C                   Eval      NbrMembers  = QUSNBRLE
     C                   Eval      SizMbrEntry = QUSSEE
     C                   Eval      pCurrMbr = pMbrSpace + QUSOLD

     C                   For       MbrNbr = 1 to NbrMembers
     C                   Eval      pSpace = pCurrMbr
     C                   Eval      QUSL0200 = VarStruct
     C                   ExSR      MatchMbr
     C                   Eval      pCurrMbr = pCurrMbr + SizMbrEntry
     C                   EndFOR
     CSR                 EndSR

     CSR   MatchMbr      BegSR
     C                   CallP     SndMsg(' '
     C                                  : %Trim(LibName) + '/' +
     C                                    %Trim(ObjName) + '(' +
     C                                    %Trim(QUSMN01) + ') srctype=' +
     C                                    %Trim(QUSST) + ' text="' +
     C                                    %Trim(QUSMD) + '"'
     C                                  : '*' : '*INFO')
     CSR                 EndSR

     CSR   CleanUp       BegSR
      * Delete the user spaces                                            *
     C                   CallP     QUSDLTUS_API(
     C                                     ObjUsrSpc
     C                                   : QUSEC
     C                                    )
     C                   CallP     QUSDLTUS_API(
     C                                     MbrUsrSpc
     C                                   : QUSEC
     C                                    )

     CSR                 EndSR

     P CrtUsrSpace     B
     D CrtUsrSpace     PI              *
     D  UsrSpcName                         Const Like(QualName)
     D  UsrSpcDescr                  50    Const

     D SpcPointer      S               *

      * IBM API QUSCRTUS will create a user space, which we will need for
      * QUSLMBR output

     D CrtUsrSpc       PR                  ExtPgm('QUSCRTUS')
     D   SpaceName                         const like(QualName)
     D   Attr                        10    const
     D   InlSize                     10I 0 const
     D   InlValue                     1    const
     D   Authority                   10    const
     D   TextDescr                   50    const
     D   Replace                     10    const
     D   ErrorParm                               like(QUSEC)

      * IBM API QUSCHGUS will change a user space's attributes.  We use
      * this to make a user space extendable

     D ChgUsrSpc       PR                  ExtPgm('QUSCUSAT')
     D   RtnLib                                  like(ReturnLib)
     D   SpaceName                         const like(QualName)
     D   AttrList                          const like(ChangeAttrs)
     D   ErrorParm                               like(QUSEC)

     D* Structure to change the USRSPC attr to extendable
     D ChangeAttrs     DS
      * Description field-by-field
      *  Number_Attrs = Number of attributes (1)
      *  1-element array of attribute definitions as follows:
      *     Attr_Key1 = Identify attribute to change (3=Extendable attr.)
      *     Attr_Siz1 = Length of the attribute itself (1)
      *     Attr_Dta1 = New value for this attribute (1="yes")
     D   Number_Attrs                10I 0 Inz(1)
     D   Attr_Key1                   10I 0 Inz(3)
     D   Attr_Siz1                   10I 0 Inz(1)
     D   Attr_Dta1                    1    Inz('1')

      * IBM API QUSPTRUS will obtain a pointer to a user space.

     D RtvPtrUsrSpc    PR                  ExtPgm('QUSPTRUS')
     D   SpaceName                         const like(QualName)
     D   ReturnPtr                     *
     D   ErrorParm                         like(QUSEC)
      * Create our user space for retrieving list of members              *
      * We need to retrieve a list of members in the file.  IBM API       *
      * QUSLMBR returns that information.  This API requires a User Space *
      * to store its result.  Because we don't know how big the User      *
      * Space needs to be, we'll create it fairly small and then make it  *
      * extendable.   API QUSCRTUS will create the User Space and         *
      * QUSCHGUS will allow us to change its attributes (extendable).     *

      * Create our user space
     C                   Callp     CrtUsrSpc(UsrSpcName   : '"MbrList"'
     C                                     : 4096 : x'00' : '*USE'
     C                                     : UsrSpcDescr
     C                                     : '*NO' : QUSEC
     C                                      )
     C                   If        QUSEI = 'CPF9870'
      * Ignore "Object exists" message.  This is not a problem.
     C                   Eval      QUSBAVL = 0
     C                   Eval      QUSEI = *Blanks
     C                   EndIf
     C                   If        (QUSBAVL = 0)
      * Change user space to be extendable
     C                   Callp     ChgUsrSpc(ReturnLib   : UsrSpcName
     C                                     : ChangeAttrs : QUSEC
     C                                      )
     C                   EndIF
      * Retrieve pointer to the user space
     C                   Callp     RtvPtrUsrSpc(UsrSpcName   : SpcPointer
     C                                    : QUSEC
     C                                     )
      * If any error occurred, pass it on to the user and escape
     C                   If        (QUSBAVL > 0)
     C                   CallP     SendEscape(QUSEI: QUSED01)
     C                   EndIF
     C                   Return    SpcPointer
     P CrtUsrSpace     E

     P SendEscape      B
     D SendEscape      PI
     D   MSGID                             Const Like(QUSEI)
     D   MSGDTA                            Const Like(QUSED01)
      * This routine will send an escape message to this program's msgq   *

     C                   Eval      MsgPgmQ = '*PGMBDY'
     C                   Eval      MsgType = '*ESCAPE'
     C                   CallP     SndMsg(MSGID: MSGDTA:
     C                                    '*PGMBDY':'*ESCAPE')
     P SendEscape      E

     P SndMsg          B
     D SndMsg          PI
     D   MSGID                             Const Like(QUSEI)
     D   MSGDTA                            Const Like(QUSED01)
     D   TOPGMQ                      10    Const
     D   MSGTYPE                     10    Const
      * Send an error message to the program.  *ESCAPE messages will      *
      * cause this program to abort.                                      *
     C                   Select
     C                   When      MsgType = '*ESCAPE'
      * Escape messages are sent to the caller
     C                   Eval      StackCnt = 1
     C                   When      MsgType = '*COMP'
      * Completion messages are sent to the caller of the caller
     C                   Eval      StackCnt = 2
     C                   Other
      * All other messages are sent to our own joblog message queue
     C                   Eval      StackCnt = *Zero
     C                   EndSL
     C                   CallP     QMHSNDPM_API(
     C                                       MSGID
     C                                     : MsgFile
     C                                     : MSGDTA
     C                                     : %Len(%TrimR(MSGDTA))
     C                                     : MSGTYPE
     C                                     : TOPGMQ
     C                                     : StackCnt
     C                                     : MsgKey
     C                                     : QUSEC
     C                                      )
     C                   Eval      QUSED01 = *Blank
     C                   Eval      MsgPgmQ = '*'
     C                   Eval      MsgFile = QCPFMSG
     P SndMsg          E

Dennis Lovelady
Accenture