Anyone aware of Wang's history knows that I am glad we did.
What is a Wang?

--  Charly

From "Programmers at Work" by Microsoft Press:
Interviewer: "Is studying computer science the
best way to prepare to be a programmer?"

Bill Gates: "No, the best way to prepare is to
write programs, and to study great programs
that other people have written. In my case, I
went to the garbage cans at the Computer
Science Center and I fished out listings of
their operating system."

Charly Jones
253 265-6244
Box 640
Gig Harbor
Washington USA
98335

From: "Roger Vicker, CCP" <rvicker@vicker.com>
To: midrange-l@midrange.com
Subject: Re: v5r2
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 21:20:38 -0600

Rob,

I had an IBMer tell me that some of their high capacity printers actually
work
better with a twinax interface than TCP/IP. He said that if he had a choice
he
would use twinax for any rough environment like a shipping dock.

Now me, the only thing I use twinax for is the system console. Will until
IBM
gets a lan based console that is proven as solid and functional.

Roger Vicker, CCP

rob@dekko.com wrote:

> This is a multipart message in MIME format.
> --
> If that is the case, then convert your PC's from twinax to LAN.  It's a
> rare business that is thriving that is not running a lan, so you
probably
> have one anyway.
>
> Back when the AS/400 first came out and we were planning the move, a
boss
> thought we should evaluate other platforms, like Wang.  At that time we
> had over $250,000 in twinax perephials alone.  For that reason, and
> numerous others, I thought we should ditch the move and just go to the
> 400.  Anyone aware of Wang's history knows that I am glad we did.  But
> now, our usage of twinax terminals is extremely limited.  With the low
> cost of netstations or PC's I can't see a reason to put in twinax
> anywhere.  Including dirty shop floor.  Oh, there will be people who
> disagree, and they will continue to cite reasons of durability, ease of
> use, security, ease of setup, etc even past the day the last one rolls
out
> the door at their company.
>
> Rob Berendt

Get faster connections -- switch to MSN Internet Access!