>With SQL, you really don't know if you've done something stupid.  In my
>case, I evidently did something stupid.  However, adding a logical view
>fixed it.  So now it's not stupid anymore.  Why?  I dunno.  You dunno.
>Nobody on the list seems to know.

Joe

As you said earlier,  you can write bad native DB2 accesses too.
Instead of a chain,  I could read the whole file comparing the
key value to the one just read.
That would be stupid.

I didn't say I didn't know, I just didn't know with the info you
provided.   Go into Ops Nav play with the visual explain. it will
show/tell you every step of the way what is being built and why.

With SQL you could add an Index and "It's not stupid anymore"
with my "read the whole file" scenerio,  "It's stupid for life"

The debug info gives suggestions as to what would make it run
faster.   No message will tell you how to make Native Methods faster.

I use Native DB2 methods everyday for the last 20 years,
I also use and really appreciate what SQL can give me
for adhoc DB searches/retreivals

PowerSaw, HandSaw,   I have both in my toolbox and use both.

Remember also;   SQL = No Level Checks

John