Methinks Bruce knows something he's not telling !  ;-)

...Neil

"Bruce Vining" <bvining@us.ibm.com>

        To:     midrange-l@midrange.com
        cc:
        Subject:        RE: With the upcoming time change....

>Now that I've stuck my foot out there to be smashed, I'll have a look at
>the archives and see what the discussion included. But I'll tell you now
>it'll be very hard to convince me that this sort of change isn't an
>improvement that's well worth the effort.

I (speaking for myself of course) would tend to agree that this would
represent an improvement and be worth the effort.

Points such as running the system clock on a UTC basis, having the system
automatically recognize local conventions such as daylight savings time,
having current time interfaces continue to return local time while new
interfaces provide UTC time, having the system clock value maintained
using
established methods such as SNTP, etc. all seem like worthwhile
objectives.

And having the ability to define whether or not a particular system
recognizes daylight savings time could take care of special cases such as
Indiana and/or situations where one didn't want an automatic time shift
due
to daylight savings at say 2 in the morning (that is, wait until the
system
activity is low/safe at 4:30 and then change the daylight savings time
attribute to yes).

Interesting thoughts for sure,
Bruce